Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lucy now has 4 eggs!

Four beautiful eggs in Lucy's nest
 Went out today to check the Christmas Tree Trail on this rainy day and found that there is now 4 eggs in Lucy's nest!  So it looks like Lucy has been laying 1 egg per day since Monday.  Bluebirds usually will lay one egg a day in the early morning hours, and will lay any where from 4-7 eggs in a clutch.  Once she has laid all of her eggs, she will start incubating them for a total of 14 days.  I snapped a quick photo of the nest with my phone while monitoring the boxes today.  The eggs in the photo look big, but they are actually very small--about the size of a nickel!  As I finished up my route on the trail, I noticed Desi and Lucy close by, foraging for insects and sitting on top of Christmas Trees.  Hopefully in the next few months, there will be some little bluebirds hopping along with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment