Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bluebirds setting up nests at the Christmas Tree Trail!

Male Western Bluebird hanging out at the Christmas Tree Trail
Very exciting news!  Today, I went out to check on the boxes at the Christmas Tree Trail, and there were several male bluebirds there with female bluebirds!  This time, I had not only my binoculars and camera, but Scott Ford was with me, who is a board member of PSBRP and an Avian Veterinarian.  Scott did confirm that these birds were indeed bluebirds!  But even more exciting, as I went through to monitor the boxes, one of the boxes had a complete grass nest in it, and another had a partial nest! (no eggs yet, but hopefully soon!)  It looks like just in the last week our bluebird couples have been hard at work and are starting to get their homes ready!  It was hard to tell how many birds there are at this trail, but my guess at this point is that there are at least a couple pairs there at this point (given that there are two nests).  Check out the photos above and below that I took of the male bluebirds in the area.  I don't have a very good camera and it was hard trying to get up close enough to get a good photo, but even though the pictures are a bit grainy, you can see the bright blue color and the red on the chest and back.  We are so excited that the bluebirds have chosen one of our trails to make their home!  Stay tuned for more info and updates on our bluebirds!
Grass nest in one of the boxes












No comments:

Post a Comment