Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Western Bluebirds seen at Christmas Tree Bluebird Trail!!! :-D

We have bluebirds!!! :-)

Today, I went out to do my weekly monitoring of the Port Orchard bluebird trails.  I was walking along at the Christmas Tree Bluebird Trail, when all of a sudden, a steak of blue flew past me.  This handsome fellow perched on top of a Christmas tree close by--he was bright blue with a red chest.  I did a double take and thought, "Oh my gosh, is that a bluebird?!?".  I was so excited!!!  I couldn't believe my eyes!  As I focused in on the beautiful bird and watched him quietly for about 10 minutes, I wished that I had my binoculars with me (I forgot them today and realized it when I arrived at the trail) and also wished that I had a camera.  He hopped along the Christmas tree tops, and occasionally perched on top of a pole.  He eventually flew down the field, and then, zoom!  another streak of blue flew in just like the first bird--bright blue with a red chest.  It was like they were scoping out the area and checking it out, as they hopped from tree to tree, in search of a nesting spot.

As I continued my monitoring, I was extra careful when I checked the nest boxes, just in case there was anyone making a nest inside.  All the boxes at the Christmas Tree Trail were empty, but as I approached the last nest box, another male bluebird appeared close by.  Wishing that I had my binoculars, it was as if he read my mind and said, "So you'd like to take a closer look at me?  Okay!"  Just then he flew down close to me, and perched on a small Christmas Tree top, approximately 15-20 feet away.  There was no doubt in my mind that he was a male Western Bluebird!!!  He seemed very friendly and not bothered that I was close by watching him.  He hopped from tree top to tree top, and occasionally would jump down to the grass and rustle around a bit.  After a while, he flew off.

What an amazing day!!!  Since I didn't see any female bluebirds, we are thinking that the male bluebirds may be checking out the area in search of a good nesting spot to bring the females back to check out.  The male bluebird will usually show the female different nesting spots that he has found, but it is ultimately the female bluebird who will choose the nest site.  Stay tuned in for more updates and photos of our bluebirds!

No comments:

Post a Comment